May 13, 2013
Black & Veatch and The Digital Decision LLC Team to Provide Public Safety Communication Solutions for FirstNet Projects
OVERLAND PARK, KAN. and ALEXANDRIA, VA (13 May 2013) – Black & Veatch and The Digital Decision LLC (TDD) announce they are teaming to help state and local governments participate in the FirstNet nationwide public safety broadband network.
Established by the First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet), this nationwide 700 MHz public safety network will be the first of its kind to allow various first responders to effectively communicate with one another during emergencies. Black & Veatch and TDD will offer state and local governments governance, planning, network design, financial modeling, program management and implementation services.
“TDD is proud to join Black & Veatch to offer public safety broadband engineering services for the U.S. first responder network,” said Robert LeGrande, II, Founder of The Digital Decision, LLC.
“Having provided deployment services for over 70,000 LTE, LMR, CDMA, and WiMax sites worldwide; Black & Vetch has the experience needed to deploy a nationwide network of this magnitude.”
States have the choice to opt-in or out of the FirstNet network. Black & Veatch and TDD service providers will work with states and their local partners to make informed decisions based on financial regulatory and general network factors. Black & Veatch and TDD will also work with agencies to establish their own private networks that are interoperable with FirstNet.
“TDD is a recognized leader in the public safety industry with practical experience building advanced governance, financial and technical models for state and local public safety networks,” said Paul Miller, vice president of telecommunications for Black & Veatch. “Together, we’ll be able to support our clients as they seek to use new technology to improve response time, keep communities safe, and save lives.”
- The Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012 created the First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet) as an independent authority within National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA). The Act directs FirstNet to establish a single nationwide, interoperable public safety broadband network.
- The Act provides $7 billion in funding towards deployment of this network, as well as $135 million for a new State and Local Implementation Grant Program administered by NTIA to support State, regional, tribal and local jurisdictions’ efforts to plan and work with FirstNet to ensure the network meets their wireless public safety communications needs.
- TDD is often called upon by public safety leaders to debate, testify, and defend first responders’ need for additional public safety spectrum and funding. TDD team member network deployment efforts were cited by the Department of Commerce as a model for the nation, making them one of only a few companies in the country with the proven regulatory, governance, operational, financial and technical experience to help State and Local Governments make the FirstNet decision that is right for them.
- Black & Veatch is the top U.S. engineering and design company for telecommunications, according to the most recent study by Engineering News-Record (ENR). This is the fourth consecutive year that Black & Veatch has achieved the number one ranking in telecommunications. The company provides planning, site acquisition, engineering, and site development services for wireless carriers, utilities and federal, state and local governments.
- Black & Veatch’s telecommunications division has grown from approximately 300 people to about 1,500 in less than four years. The division is also growing geographically, operating out of 20 office locations across North America, as well as in India and Thailand. Growth is resulting from meeting the continued demand for faster speeds and broader coverage and the need to further automate networks with digital technology.
About Black & Veatch
Black & Veatch is an employee-owned, global leader in building Critical Human Infrastructure™ in Energy, Water, Telecommunications and Government Services. Since 1915, we have helped our clients improve the lives of people in over 100 countries through consulting, engineering, construction, operations and program management. Our revenues in 2012 were US$3.3 billion. Follow us on www.bv.com and in social media.
About The Digital Decision
The Digital Decision was founded in 2007 with the mission of establishing true nationwide interoperable communications for our nation’s first responders. We led America’s first two public safety broadband network deployments, negotiated state-wide governance agreements for four states, and over 67 local jurisdictions, and provided expert consultant services to the world’s largest commercial carriers and equipment manufacturers. These combined experiences are unparalleled in the marketplace and enables us to provide unique, groundbreaking intelligence that best positions our state and local customers to make their public safety broadband communications decision.
Media Contact Information:
PATRICK MACELROY | +1 212-973-1339 x18p | +1 516-477-0914 m | firstname.lastname@example.org
24-HOUR MEDIA HOTLINE | +1 866 496 9149
NIKI PAPAZOGLAKIS | 225-615-4570| email@example.com